The Obituary read as follows: Shewbrooks, John Burke (Jack) age 85 passed away early Thursday morning, October 23, 2003 at his home. Jack was born October 19, 1918 in Wilmington, Delaware. He was retired from the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) as a mechanical engineer. He was also a nautical engineer and worked in shipyards. For several years he was a yacht captain based out of Lighthouse Point, Florida. Jack was a boat racer of inboard hydroplanes until he retired at the age of 64. He was a member of Concord United Methodist Church. He was a veteran of World War II serving with the U S Army.
There is so much more to the story: Jack Shewbrooks lived a colorful life. He lived a life that many of us can only dream about.
· He was an All-State Basketball player.
· He was the quarterback of his High School football team.
· He and his twin brother were stunningly handsome young men in constant mischief.
· He partied with the Duponts, dated a Princess, and fished with Earnest Hemmingway.
· He broke his back in the Army spending months in a hospital.
· He became a sergeant in charge of nurses’ fitness in California.
· He talked with the Beatles and Bernie Little.
· He was a licensed captain on yachts.
· He designed, built, and delivered custom yachts throughout the Eastern United States.
· He owned and operated a sport fishing boat in South Florida.
· He designed hydroplanes for the Volvo-Penta Company that raced in Sweden.
· He raced midget racecars.
· He built and raced hydroplanes for 50 years.
· He was the last of a breed in industry as a non-degreed Mechanical Engineer.
· He built beautiful models well into his 80’s.
Best of all, he thought the world and all of you who are reading this article. He had many friends.
Captain Jack Summary
Jack Shewbrooks - athlete, racer, yacht captain, engineer, model builder
Jack Shewbrooks 10/19/18 to 10/23/03
Bill twin brother
Mary Jane Porter wife
Stephen adopted son, manager, athlete, tennis, skiing, and dogs
Corky daughter, artist
John son, manager, racer
Edna Ruth wife, musician, seamstress
Sandy stepson, manager, sportsman, hunting & fishing
Mike stepson, cyclist, golf, home builder, street rods
Ruthie daughter, manager, cooking, dogs, dogs, dogs, dogs
Wes buddy, model boats, props
Conrad High School All State in Football & Basketball
Army 2/26/42, Sergeant
American Power Boat Association boat racer, designer, builder
Ranger sport fishing boat business
A self made man. He made his own way.
Captain Jack Shewbrooks ran a sport fishing business for a while with his boat named Ranger. He worked hard and had a lot of seafood to feed the family.
One of many boats built by Jack Shewbrooks